Thursday, August 26, 2010

Facebook Places - Privacy settings that are not private

This week, Facebook added a feature called "Places" where users may post their current location, using a mobile device.

Facebook hasn't exactly excited its users when it comes to Privacy Settings and I think they missed on this one too.  "Places" is enabled by default.  And, not only is it enabled, but the Privacy Settings allows "Friends" to post another Friend's location.  To me, these are privacy settings that are not private.

If you don't like people knowing every move you make, I would recommend changing the settings.

To do so, follow these steps:

Click on "Accounts" on the upper right corner of Facebook and select "Privacy Settings."

In the Privacy Settings window, click on "Customize" on the lower part of the screen.

In the "Things I Share" section, scroll to "Places I check in to" and change the option to "Me Only."

Then, uncheck the "Include me in 'People Here Now' after I check in" dialog box.  (See screen shot below)

In my opinion, Facebook should have changed the default setting.  But, I don't work for Facebook, I'm only here to provide tips to computer users.  So, I hope this helps with everyone's privacy.

***UPDATE 8/27/2010***
There is another option in the section below "Things others share."  The safest option is to select "Disable" from the "Friends can check me into Places" drop down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Delete Blank Rows in Excel